compiled by Doug Smith
I have been working on a project for my hermeneutics class on the canon of Scripture. Here are some links to resources that have helpful material about this subject. This is by no means exhaustive, but hopefully someone will find this to be a good place to start. Most of the links are for ordering the items, but a few resources are downloadable for free.
Books and Articles
· “Bible Formation and Canon” in the Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary. Edited by Chad Brand, Charles Draper, and Archie England. Nashville, TN: Holman Reference, 2003. pp. 200-202.
· Bruce, F. F. The Canon of Scripture. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 1988. (Standard Reference on this topic)
· Dockery, David S. and David P. Nelson, “Special Revelation,” in Daniel L. Akin, ed. A Theology for the Church. Nashville, TN: B & H Academic, 2007. pp. 164-171.
· House, H. Wayne. Chronological and Background Charts of the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 1981. pp. 16-24 (16-17 gives NT dates written, 22 gives canon in 1st 4 centuries, 23 gives Patristic quotations).
· Metzger, Bruce M. The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development, and Significance. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1988. (Standard reference on this topic)
· Trueman, Carl. “The Marcions Have Landed! A Warning for Evangelicals.” Evangelicals Now, March 2003. Online: <http://www.e-n.org.uk/2105-The-Marcions-have-landed.htm>
· Walton, John H. Chronological and Background Charts of the Old Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 1994. p. 12 (gives chronology of books).
· Wegner, Paul D. The Journey from Texts to Translations: the Origin and Development of the Bible. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker, 1999. pp. 100-164. (GREAT REFERENCE)
· White, James R. Scripture Alone: Exploring the Bible’s Accuracy, Authority, and Authenticity. Minneapolis, MN: Bethany House, 2004. (very helpful, especially on Gnostic gospels)
- www.Bible.org http://www.Bible.org <http://www.bible.org/topic.php?topic_id=87>
- Bible Research <http://www.bible-researcher.com/canon.html>
- Monergism – links to articles on the canon of Scripture <http://www.monergism.com/directory/link_category/Bibliology/Formation-of-the-Canon/>.
- Bruce, F. F., The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable? Online book at <http://www.worldinvisible.com/library/ffbruce/ntdocrli/ntdocont.htm>.
Resources for conforming our lives to the canon of Scripture
- Carson, D. A. For the Love of God: a Daily Companion for Discovering the Riches of God’s Word. Volume 1 ; Volume 2. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books, 2006. Visit http://christwaymedia.com/to sign up for daily readings by email.
- Robert Murray M’Cheyne’s Bible Reading Calendar; available as a free .pdf download at <http://www.mountcalvarybaptist.org/extra/documents/McCheyne Bible Reading.pdf> – a great resource to distribute to your church
- Ryken, Philip Graham, Derek W. H. Thomas, and J. Ligon Duncan III. Give Praise to God: a Vision for Reforming Worship. Phillipsburg, NJ: P & R, 2003.
- Spinney, Robert G. “Looking for God in All the Wrong Places: an Appeal for Word-Based Corporate Worship.” Hartsville, TN: Tulip Books, 2006. Free downloadable .pdf file at <http://www.hartsvillereformedbaptist.com/gbc_rob_worship.pdf>
Please remember that the inclusion of a resource in this list is not a blanket endorsement of all its contents or all other writings of these authors. Let us always be Bereans (Acts 17:11).