Endorsements for the book are here.
Free sample: Foreword, Introduction, and Chapter 1 (free .pdf)
Another excerpt: “What Evangelism Isn’t”
Below are some resources for further study.
Books & Resources Dever refers to in The Gospel and Personal Evangelism:
- Robert Plummer, Paul’s Understanding of the Church’s Mission: Did the Apostle Paul Expect the Early Christian Communities to Evangelize? (Carlisle, UK: Paternoster Biblical Monographs, 2006)
- Evangelistic Presentation: Two Ways to Live – http://www.matthiasmedia.com.au/2wtl
- Mack Stiles, Speaking of Jesus (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 1995) (examples of turning the conversation toward Christ)
- Randy Newman, Corner Conversations (Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel, 2006)
- Will Metzger, Tell the Truth (best single book on evangelism, according to Dever)
- Iain Murray, Revival and Revivalism (chronicles the fallout of a history of poor evangelism)
- J. I. Packer, Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God
- Canons of the Synod of Dort (deepens one’s understanding and appreciation of the Gospel)
- Christianity Explained (Scripture Union) (good tool to teach evangelistically through the Gospel of Mark)
- Tools and articles on evangelism at www.9marks.org (These include: Mark 3 – A Biblical Understanding of the Good News; Mark 4 – A Biblical Understanding of Conversion; and Mark 5 – A Biblical Understanding of Evangelism)
- Richard Baxter, The Reformed Pastor
- Horatius Bonar, Words to Winners of Souls
- Charles Bridges, The Christian Ministry
- C. H. Spurgeon, Lectures to My Students (other Spurgeon materials may be helpful as well)
In February 2006 Dever delivered a number of messages on evangelism at Sovereign Grace Ministries’ Pastors’ College Evangelism Conference. These four talks are available as free MP3 downloads.
- What Is Evangelism?
- A Biblical Theology of Evangelism and the Gospel
- Evangelism for the Pastor or Preacher
- The Church Practice of Evangelism
Free download of the message that the book is based on: The Gospel and Evangelism.
Evangelism: What It Is and What It Isn’t (Noah Braymen’s summary of Dever’s talk from the 2007 Gospel Growth Conference) – there is a chapter quite similar in the book.
In this Adrian Warnock interview with Dever, they talk about his book on evangelism.
The book is also referenced briefly in this interview with Gary Shavey. “Election, the Gospel and Evangelism” Founders Breakfast 2006 (CD: $3 plus $1.50 S&H; Download: $1.50 – and worth it!) – Dever points to Romans 9 and 10 of proof that God’s sovereignty motivated Paul to evangelize and it should move us as well.
Al Mohler’s review of the book
Al Mohler interviews Dever on personal evangelism