Since I have begun with a consideration of the Book of Psalms and intend to continue on this theme this week, I would like to share with you the following resources for studying the Psalter.
OUTLINE OF SOURCES FOR STUDYING THE PSALMS
The following are links to posts I have prepared listing some of the most recommended commentaries and theological works dealing with the Book of Psalms.
- The best, simple introductory volume I’ve found is Tremper Longman, III, How to Read the Psalms.
- A must read is C. S. Lewis, Reflections on the Psalms.
- A recent, and very helpful volume is Interpreting the Psalms: Issues and Approaches, edited by David Firth and Philip S. Johnston (2005).
- The best, conservative volume is Geoffrey Grogan, Prayer, Praise and Prophecy: A Theology of the Psalms.
- The most helpful volumes I’ve found are Gerald Wilson’s Psalms: Volume 1, Derek Kidner’s 2 volumes (1 & 2) in the TOTC series, and the three volumes (1, 2, 3) in the Word Biblical Commentary series. I’m eagerly awaiting the opportunity to try out John Goldingay’s commentaries (1 & 2) in the Baker OT commentary series.
- Here, I prefer to turn to A. F. Kirkpatricks comments in the Cambridge series and Spurgeon’s Treasury of David ought to be on every Christian’s bookshelf (it is an immense treasure trove).
NOTE: As time permits I will continue to add to these lists.
ONLINE BIBLIOGRAPHIES ON THE PSALTER
Hieke, Thomas. Psalmenkommentare – Commentaries on the Psalms.
Hildebrandt, Ted. Psalms Rough and Working Bibliography 3/1/05 (330 pages).
ONLINE COMMENTARIES ON THE PSALTER
Exposition on the Book of Psalms
- Notes on the Old Testament Explanatory and Practical: Psalms Vol. 1
- Notes on the Old Testament Explanatory and Practical: Psalms Vol. 2
- Notes on the Old Testament Explanatory and Practical: Psalms Vol. 3
- Commentary on Psalms – Volume 1
- Commentary on Psalms – Volume 2
- Commentary on Psalms – Volume 3
- Commentary on Psalms – Volume 4
- Commentary on Psalms – Volume 5
Expositions of Holy Scripture: Psalms
Charles H. Spurgeon:
- Treasury of David:Volume I
- Treasury of David:Volume II
- Treasury of David:Volume III
- Treasury of David:Volume IV
- Treasury of David:Volume V
- Treasury of David:Volume VI
NOTES ON THE BOOK OF PSALMS
ONLINE LECTURES ON THE PSALTER
Dr Bruce Waltke – Psalms
Delightfully conservative. Dr Waltke is a careful OT scholar who refuses to bow to the prevailing torrent of modern biblical criticism.
Dr V. Philips Long, former professor at Covenant Theological Seminary – Psalms & Wisdom Books
Conservative, evangelical and thorough. Dr Long’s lectures are in depth and very engaging.
Dr Gordon Wenham (3/27/06)
AUDIO OF THE HEBREW PSALTER
Hebrew Audio (MP3 files of the entire OT)
PREACHING THE PSALTER
Daniel Akin (SEBTS) is preaching a series of sermons entitled Through the Psalms. These messages can be found (with outlines and handouts, too) here. In the mix are other messages he has preached on the Psalms.
Mark Dever (CHBC) preached a series entitled Ancient Wisdom. Here is his sermon on the book of Psalms – Wisdom of Spiritual People: The Message of the Psalms.
Steve Lawson has posted two sermons introducing the book of Psalms.
Introduction to the Psalms Part II
12/23/06 | Psalms
Introduction to the Psalms Part I
12/23/06 | Psalms
BLOGGING ON THE PSALTER